TAKING ACTION TO HELP MORE FAMILIES WITH AUTISM
Queen’s Park is back in session for the spring sitting, and we have a lot to get done — we will debate several government and private member’s bills to help Ontario grow and prosper.
We will continue working toward putting money in people’s pockets through our government bill, Restoring Ontario’s Competitiveness Act, which will eliminate red tape and burdensome regulations so that businesses can grow, create and protect good jobs for the people of Ontario.
Our government bill, Safe and Supportive Classrooms Act, will help make schools in Ontario a safer environment for students and ensure that they are better supported in their studies.
On Feb. 6, our government made an announcement that will help families in Milton and across Ontario. We have worked hard, listened to parents, and brought forward a program that will eliminate the wait-list and provide funding for all children with autism in Ontario.
Starting in April, our government will:
• Double funding to the province’s five diagnostic hubs, so that families can receive a diagnosis sooner;
• Move 23,000 families currently on the wait-list into Childhood Budgets within 18 months;
• Introducing a provider list, to help families find qualified clinical supervisors for behavioural services;
• Introduce a new independent intake agency that will assist families in registering for the program, assess their funding eligibility, provide them with their Childhood Budgets and offer support to help them choose which services to purchase;
• Establishing an independent intake agency to bring families into the program, help them manage their funding and assist them in purchasing and accessing services; and
• Improve how services are delivered, so that families have confidence in providers and the service system.
We will continue to work in collaboration with the Ministry of Education, to provide transition services and supports to children and youth living with autism through the Connections for Students program.
As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or my office if we can be of assistance.